Sunday, October 9, 2011

One year anniversary

One year ago I was looking through Craigslist for work as an artist. I never bothered with gigs that were looking for "internship or non paying work." Damn it, I know what I am worth, and it ain't free. However being new to New Orleans and looking to be seen in a town with more artists than parking spots I decided to be selective as to who I give it away to. One ad caught my eye, local publication seeks cover drawn. Ok, a local rag might help get me seen.

A few E-mails and a phone call conveyed that some local rag wanted a Halloween cover. Ok, I don't have anything else going on.  I spent several days working on a detailed cover based on the theme he wanted, "Zombie Tourists." A roommate chided me for spending so many hours on a project that didn't pay. Of course the roommate had nothing better to do with his unemployed ass than to stand over my shoulder and critique. Just get the fuck away from me I thought. I don't see you doing anything but jacking off to Smallville episodes.

I attached the following JPG to an Email and waited for a response. A phone call came almost immediately. "Let's meet for lunch" my new editor exclaimed. I met with the editor Otis B. Easy at Coops for lunch. Hell, a free lunch and a beer would be payment enough for the artwork at this point in my career. Otis explained to me the cult following that his publication had among the service industry people in the French Quarter. How every issue was eagerly anticipated and scooped up as soon as he could distribute them. Ok, enough with the hype I thought, first cover is free, the next will cost.

I started to see this guy wasn't bullshiting. We walked down Decatur and a few other streets talking about the Quarter Rat. As we passed open doors and windows of bars and restaurants, those working inside would yell out his name and ask when was the next issue coming out.  He gave me a few back issues to read through, and I saw the potential for a real creative outlet.

Back in Jersey I had a few folks criticize my choices of topics for my artwork. "No one will ever pay you to draw cartoons of fake tittied strippers" one gallery owner exclaimed.  Perhaps I am not working in the right place I thought. Otis asked again to meet for lunch after the issue was published. Another free lunch? Hell yea.

He conveyed the overwhelming positive response to the Halloween cover from the fans of the QR. You could see his mind racing and crunching numbers of potential profits. "Did you ever think about illustrating a book?" he asked.  "Well, I guess I could squeeze it in" I stammered.  It wasn't long before I completed over 30 drawings for the book "Bourbon Street and Beyond" and a half dozen more covers.

Not to place too much importance on my position as QR illustrator, but it has changed my life. I went from being the new unknown and unseen artist in the French Quarter to being recognized by strangers for my work. I suddenly was connected to the French Quarter, part of it with insights and connections that would have taken years to established if I had tried to do it on my own. It changed how I view myself as an artist and my place in New Orleans.  The Quarter Rat is important to everyone in the Quarter,  it's tough to explain how.



As far as Otis goes, I'm still not sure what to make of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment