Saturday, December 3, 2011

A peek inside

I recently brought some friends up to tour the unit at the Pontalba Apartments that Robert and I have been working on for a number of weeks now. When the guests entered the first word was "WOW." One visitor said she couldn't believe that such large luxurious apartments were available in the French Quarter. Two large bedrooms with original marble fireplaces, open up to a third floor balcony overlooking the very center of Jackson Square. The statue is directly in front of this center unit. Out of the half dozen or so remodelings that we have done, this one by far has the nicest view of the Square and St Louis Cathedral.

Not to come across as some sort of real estate broker, but this place is beautiful. Wood floors, twelve foot high ceilings with plaster medallions crowning the center.  Ten foot high doors open up into each room, as well as each closet.  The windows to the balcony have folding pocket shutters that still function despite the many layers of paint over the years. The ten foot high window can be closed off if you are shy about getting dressed in front of General Jackson. Everything about the apartment is grand.



Out of all of the units we had worked on, this particular one has needed the most attention. A portion of the plaster ceiling in the living room was in the process of collapse, as well as a lot of surface plaster work needed on the walls. Apparently the previous tenets had lived there for many years and were "hoarders." Having some personal experience with hoarders, I can tell you that by their very nature they are secretive and isolated. Most compulsive disorders can somewhat be hidden from the world. Not so with hoarding. Consequently, when routine repairs or maintenance was needed to the unit, property management was never notified in order to keep the clutter a secret.

I can't imagine being a pack rat while living in a third floor apartment. The tenets had installed multiple shelving units through out the apartment. The first couple days of prep work involved just removing the shelves and repairing the walls from the brackets holding them up. 

If you were a property owner in suburbia who tried to maintain a presentable home, having a hoarder next door with a yard filled with debris would be at best a nuisance. You might think that hoarding in an apartment setting it wouldn't affect the neighbors, but it can.  I have spent the better part of six months in this building and the only signs of rodent or insect infestation has been in this unit. The pest problem has been taken care of. One of the hazards of compulsive hoarding is that it provides a perfect enviroment for pests. Ample hiding spots and often ample food supplies.

The property management people discouraged me from posting "before photos" of this unit, I guess they didn't want the photos to be taken out of context and give the wrong impression of the building over all. Everyone involved with the Pontalba takes a great deal of pride in the preservation of the building, it's not just real estate, it's history.



I'll be posting more photos of the apartment as each room becomes completed.



6 comments:

  1. My great aunt lived in a corner Pontalba apartment overlooking Decatur and St. Peter from the late 1920s until the late 1960s.

    I still have dreams about the interior stairway from the street to the second floor. When I was a kid, something about those wide, curving stairs — the shadows, the smell of the old building — were magic to me.

    My parents had their wedding reception at that apartment in 1945:

    http://tinyurl.com/c4ffj87
    (Recognize the fireplace?)

    Since 1970 I've lived in NYC, but for single people who don't make xitloads of money, it's getting harder to hang on. Plus, I ain't gettin' no younger! Lately, I've been missing NOLA, and thinking about moving home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your memories of the building. Those staircases are dramatic and beautiful. NYC and NOLA are as different as day and night. If you ever could move back, I hope you do. The photo link you sent is amazing, such glamor. Is it ok If I share it on my blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Help yourself! My parents would be flattered. What's not so obvious in this "glamorous" pic is that my dad was trashed beyond redemption.

    I agree with you that NYC and New Orleans are different as night and day, but — until recently, at least — they had a wonderful thing in common. You could flee to either city to get the hell away from America. (NYC is losing its "otherness".....but that's another conversation.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I posted it and sent a link to the property manager. He thought it was "awesome" Probably the current tenants will get to see the photo. Thanks for sharing. When you get down here for a visit or permanently, I'll arrange for a tour of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've no idea how much I would love that. Thanks for the kind offer, and I'll definitely take you up on it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Uh-oh....I need to grammar-police my original post.

    Should have read: "...WAS magic to me" (not "were").

    It's hawd bein' me....can you tell?

    ReplyDelete