Tuesday, July 10, 2012

A little flesh, a little history

One night in Bangkok makes a hard man humble
Not much between despair and ecstasy

This town will either raise you up, or eat you up. No middle ground in the Quarter. You meet people going in one of two directions, up or down. You're predator or prey depending on what street you walk. Ten or twenty years ago I never would have stood a chance here. Some days I still am not sure how my day will end. Driving cab at night for five years on the Jersey Shore was a learning experience. That was just prep school for life in the French Quarter. 
 
Every night I walk Royal to Canal and Bourbon Street. After a year of living down here things do look different. Gone are the wide eyes of tourist awe, now covered with dark shades of suspicion for everyone. There aren't any more hustlers than when I first walked down Bourbon,  I can just spot them from two blocks away now. Fewer attractive women, just a lot more hookers. Fewer homeless, just a lot more crackheads. There can be naked 18 year old girls hanging off of balconies and I'm watching the rats dart by with pizza crusts. Tourists snap pictures of the blinding neon signs while they step in horse crap from NOPD's mounted.  Am I the only one who sees the hot dog vendor with his finger pushed up his nose to the third knuckle? I guess that couple from Minnesota placing an order with him missed it.




I watch people fall victim to the street scammers on all sides. There's nothing I can do for them, it's too late. Just keep walking. Shoe shine hustlers squirting polish on their shoes and wiping them down before the tourist understands what's going on. You shouldn't have stopped, now it will cost you five bucks to have a crackhead smear your new loafers with jism. A night manager at a fast food joint hurls a belligerent drunk out the front door and almost into you. The derelict spins to the foul sidewalk cracking his head hard do to the lack of motor skills. The manager returns inside, a naive tourist couple stop in shock and kneel to help the fallen. Bad move. With in 5 minutes the man on the sidewalk has scammed them out of $30 for more crack. 

Acting like a tough guy on these streets will get you killed faster than a tour of duty in Iraq. Too many times I have read news stories of some hyper masculine man's man trying to save face in front of people that he will never see again, only to end up dead. Trying to start shit with me? Did you just comment about kicking my muthafuckin white ass? I keep walking, you wanted me to stop so you could start shit, I didn't stop. I win. If you follow me, then I do the crazy ass muthafucka routine on you. Especially now days, I might be a bath salt Zombie who will eat your fuckin face off.

I return to Toulouse Street with my energy drinks and a fresh pack of menthols. The ride ain't over until I lock the front door behind me. Between Bourbon and my door there is still a gauntlet of penniless winos and crackheads sitting on the stoops eyeballing potential prey. "Hey man, ya got an extra smoke?" "Sorry dude, all out."

One night in Bangkok and the tough guys tumble
Can't be too careful with your company
I can feel the Devil walking next to me

2 comments:

  1. this story is right but when you dont have facts about my husbands business shut up the day you pay mamas rent is the day you would mass fire and why should we explain not your business they lied sold drugs stole and art had faith they were good I came back Art said they gave him ultimatum he does not desrve this crap and I helped him build that place so when most of crew was bad what do u do dishwasher donald would take bottles of our vodka put in his bag we both caught him with mouth around bottle so thats satire joke got me recieving death threats so if u ever get article pertaing to a business let owner read first get response we were the 2nd bar and grill open for katrina full menu ART has worked hard his entire life and respected those people ruined that place and how would you know Isaw this crap going down after my get away 3 yrs and i am a bitch but i have been arts nark for years and when people are doing stuff i wouldnt do or take fuck you so all those people were wrong and so was quarter rat magazine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had 7 people (that were there) back up his story on seperate occasions. I also had over a dozen girls come to me in the last few yeatrs and tell of how you tried to corner them into eating your nasty twat ot fuckin round with that old father time lookin dopehead of a husband 48 HOURS BEFORE THEY WERE FIRED for no real reason. . . . yall are gross and washed-up. EVERYONE already hated you way before that little article was printed. Yall are a joke. dont treat people we love like shit and we won't return the favor.

      Delete