Sunday, December 18, 2011

Lived to see another one..

I posted this melancholy Christmas song last year on my other blog. It was a very low time for me. Missing my daughter, unemployed, hungry and on the verge of being homeless it was a bleak holiday season to say the least.  Well, I stuck it out for my kid's sake in spite of my desire to to cash in my chips off the bridge into the Mississippi.  Glad I did.

A year later, my rent is paid, my belly is full and artistically I am making money at what I love. I'm living in paradise. When I use that term, keep in mind homeless guys crap on my doorstep, gang members murder each other a block from my apartment and I think a rodent stole my Zippo lighter last night. Still I wouldn't want to live anyplace else on Earth. 



I still miss my only child to the point of tears. Especially this time of year. As much as I love New Orleans, I will say that New York City does Christmas just a little bit bigger. So a year later, I'll repost this video, and this year it carries a whole different tune for me. I hope you enjoy.

5 comments:

  1. It's so moving to read about your daughter, and I can only imagine your sadness at being separated from her. How soon can she come for a visit? Has she been to New Orleans yet? What will you show her, and what do you think she'll love?

    For my money, heart trumps bigness. So for me, Christmas in New Orleans beats Christmas in New York. NOLA has the sweetness angle sewn up.

    Pogues.......the greatest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be two years next March since I've seen her. As soon as I get ahead with finances I'll have her down. She'll be 15, and I am sure it will all fascinate her. She is looking forward to Krystal Burgers on Bourbon St, and the Clover Grill. Who knows, perhaps someday she will get to attend college down here.A bright kid who could probably get in most any university she has a mind to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're in similar straits money-wise.

    Suppose your daughter got into Tulane. How soundly would you sleep knowing she was hanging out at Snake and Jake's at 3:00 a.m.?

    Ha!

    Hope you can get her down for a visit soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I spoke to the property manager today, he LOVES the photo that you allowed me to post. I think it's been sent around to everyone in the building and probably half the Quarter. Almost 90 visitors to that particular post the last time I checked. He seemed very confidant that the current tenants of your great aunt's apartment would be gracious enough to give you a tour of the place. I'll treat for a coffee at Cafe DuMonde afterward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What, are you kiddin' me? If you can get me into the Pontalba, the least I can do is foot the beignets.

    My parents would get the hugest kick out of their three minutes of fame, courtesy of Eric Styles.

    By the time she moved out of that gigantic apartment, my great aunt was paying something like $110 a month — if that. Can you imagine? What I wouldn't give.

    Are the apartments still rentals, or have the Pontalbas gone co-op?

    ReplyDelete